Skip to contentSkip to Main Site NavigationSkip to Site Left NavigationSkip to Site Utility NavigationSkip to Site SearchSkip to FooterDownload Adobe Reader
Admissions Forms
Home » Student Services » Admissions & Records » Pass and No Pass

Pass/No Pass (P/NP)

Due to COVID-19: Students are able to request a change to the grading basis of their course(s) through the end of the semester (June 1, 2020). By changing the grading basis from a letter grade (i.e. A, B, C) to a Pass/No Pass (P/NP) you can limit the impact of the course outcome on your Grade Point Average (GPA).

By earning a grade of ‘C’ or better you will be issued a grade of ‘P’. The ‘P’ grade will give you credit for passing the course but will not factor into your overall GPA. If you do not end up earning a ‘C’ or better you will be issued a grade of ‘NP’ (No Pass) and will not earn units, but it will not factor into your GPA as a substandard (D, F) grade would.

Additionally, the ‘No Pass’ grade will not be counted towards progress probation or dismissal if it is due to COVID-19 related reasons. To change your grading option to Pass/No Pass simply follow the steps below and submit the Petition for Pass/No Pass to

(Note: While the Chancellor’s Office is in discussion with the CSU’s and UC’s the potentially adverse transfer implication of a pass or no-pass grading option remain in effect. For any updates please check with your transfer institution of choice).


(formerly Credit/No Credit) grading option is offered so that students may explore subject areas of interest outside those of their known abilities or assumed competence without competing for grades with students who are majoring in that subject. In any course offered at Grossmont College, a student may elect to be graded on a P/NP basis providing the course is not part of the major (except for department approved courses graded on a P/NP basis only). In all cases, a student enrolled in a course must have met course prerequisites.

A maximum of 12 credit units earned at Grossmont College with P grades may be counted in satisfaction of general education and elective curriculum requirements for graduation. Grades received from other accredited institutions may be applied as credit, when appropriate, toward graduation.

Some courses in the curriculum are offered exclusively on a P/NP basis. Credit units earned in these courses are exempt from the 12 unit restrictions. In all other nonmajor courses, the election to be graded on a P/NP is at the option of the student. Students electing to be graded on a P/NP basis shall establish that option by submitting the appropriate form to the Admissions and Records Office by the end of the fifth week of the semester. (Short-term classes will be allowed a proportionate amount of time.) Once the P/NP deadline has passed, the decision is irrevocable.

A P grade shall represent at least a satisfactory level of performance but shall not be counted as units attempted in computing grade point average. An NP grade indicates unsatisfactory completion of course requirements but will not be counted as units attempted in computing grade point average. NP grades will be taken into consideration in the determination of progress alert or disqualification status.

How to submit an online Pass/No Pass Request.

  1. Please check deadlines before you submit the form
  2. Click on the link below (you will need Adobe Reader ver. 8 or higherGet Acrobat Reader
  3. Fill the PDF request form
  4. Digitally sign the request (if have not created a digital signature before, see How to create a digital signature)
  5. Save the form to your local computer
  6. Send the form as an email attachment to
  7. Enter email subject P-NP Request

Note: If you do not receive an email reply acknowledging that we have received your Transcript request within one working day, check your junk/trash folder otherwise most likely your send is not successful, please send again. (Please note, we are closed weekends and holidays

If you are unable to submit the form online, then print and fax (619-644-7933) or mail it.

Please contact the Admissions and Records office if you have any questions (619) 644-7186.

Online Request for Pass/No Pass

Last Updated: 05/20/2020
  • Grossmont
  • Cuyamaca
A Member of the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District