Skip to contentSkip to Main Site NavigationSkip to Site Left NavigationSkip to Site Utility NavigationSkip to Site SearchSkip to FooterDownload Adobe Reader
English as a Second Language
Home » Academics » Departments » ESL Department » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Who should enroll in ESL classes?


If any of the following statements describe you, you should take the ESL placement test.

  • I have trouble understanding spoken English.
  • I have trouble understanding written English.
  • Other people cannot always understand my English.
  • I make a lot of mistakes when I write in English.

How do I enroll in ESL classes?


Instructions may be found under enrollment.

What will I learn in ESL classes?


A description of each class is under ESL Courses. You can see syllabi and materials for each class as well.

Do ESL classes earn college credit?


ESL 088, ESL 088L, ESL 088R, ESL 098, ESL 098G, ESL 098P, and ESL 105 are for non-degree credit.

ESL 115 satisfies General Education for: Grossmont College: Area C - Humanities; CSU GE- Area C2; Transfers to: CSU and UC (*UC Credit limitations apply, see TCA list on ASSIST or college catalog) 

ESL 122 satisfies General Education for: Grossmont College: Area A – A1; CSU GE Area A2;IGETC 1A; Transfers to: CSU and UC (*UC Credit limitations apply, TCA list on ASSIST or college catalog)





Last Updated: 07/14/2020
  • Grossmont
  • Cuyamaca
A Member of the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District