Skip to contentSkip to Main Site NavigationSkip to Site Left NavigationSkip to Site Utility NavigationSkip to Site SearchSkip to FooterDownload Adobe Reader

Ability to Benefit Test (ATB)

Students enrolling for the first time after July 1, 2012 must have a High School Diploma, GED or state recognized equivalent to be eligible for federal financial aid. New students will no longer have the option to pass an Ability to Benefit (ATB) test or to successfully complete 6 degree applicable units to gain eligibility for federal financial aid. A student who does not possess a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent, but who was enrolled in an eligible program any time prior to July 1, 2012, may be eligible to receive federal student aid under the prior ATB provision. Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you think you were enrolled in an approved post-secondary educational program prior to July 1, 2012 and need to satisfy an ATB requirement. Please be advised that Grossmont and Cuyamaca Colleges WILL NOT accept ATB examination scores from other colleges.

How can a student obtain a GED or State recognized equivalent?

Take the GED examination or the California High School Proficiency (CHSPE).
If you are interested in either exam, you may contact:

Foothills Adult Education
1550 Melody Lane
El Cajon, CA 92019
(619) 401-4126

CHSPE Office
Sacramento County Office of ED
P.O. Box 269003
Sacramento, CA 95826-9003
(866) 342-4773

Last Updated: 11/20/2014
  • Grossmont
  • Cuyamaca
A Member of the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District