Skip to contentSkip to Main Site NavigationSkip to Site Left NavigationSkip to Site Utility NavigationSkip to Site SearchSkip to FooterDownload Adobe Reader

General Eligibility Requirements

In general, you are eligible for FEDERAL Aid at Grossmont College if you:

  • Apply for admission to Grossmont College;
  • Are a citizen of the U.S., a permanent resident, or a resident alien with an appropriate visa;
  • Have not exceeded the undergraduate borrowing limits for subsidized and unsubsidized loans;
  • Demonstrate eligibility in accordance with federal and state regulations;
  • Declare and enroll in a degree, certificate or transfer program;
  • Have a declared major;
  • Register with Selective Service if required to do so under registration law;
  • Are not in default on any Federal debt or obligation, Federal Perkins Loan, National Direct Student Loan (NDSL), Federal Direct/Stafford Student Loan, PLUS/SLS loan, Federal Consolidated Loan, or owe a refund on a Federal Pell Grant or a Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant received while attending any institution, (see "Loans" for additional information regarding defaulted student loans);
  • Have met and maintained Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards according to Grossmont College's SAP policies and federal guidelines;
  • Do not have a Bachelor's degree; and
  • Are not a member of a religious order.

Eligibility for Non-Citizens

The Department of Education will compare the information listed on the your application (the FAFSA) with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) data base [formerly U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS)]. This primary match will attempt to confirm eligibility to receive Federal Financial Aid. For applicants whose eligible non-citizen status was not confirmed by the Department of Education's primary match, secondary confirmation must be used to determine eligibility. Applicants may be required submit immigration documents to the Financial Aid Office. The Financial Aid Office will submit the student's immigration documents to the DHS within 10 business days and will request secondary confirmation of eligible non-citizen status.

California Dream Act

AB540 eligible students may submit a California Dream Act application to see if they may be eligible for state financial aid or scholarships. Your application will be processed by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC).

Ability to Benefit

Students enrolling for the first time after July 1, 2012 must have a High School Diploma, GED or state recognized equivalent to be eligible for federal financial aid. New students will no longer have the option to pass an Ability to Benefit (ATB) test or to successfully complete 6 degree applicable units to gain eligibility for federal financial aid. A student who does not possess a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent, but who was enrolled in an eligible program any time prior to July 1, 2012, may be eligible to receive federal student aid under the prior ATB provision. Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you think you were enrolled in an approved post-secondary educational program prior to July 1, 2012 and need to satisfy an ATB requirement. Please be advised that Grossmont and Cuyamaca Colleges WILL NOT accept ATB examination scores from other colleges.

Information on obtaining a GED can be found at the Grossmont Adult School website at

Drug Convictions

A student is ineligible to receive federal financial aid for a specified period of time if the student has been convicted of an offense for the sale or possession of an illegal drug.

Convictions for possession:

  • Only one conviction - ineligible for federal financial aid for one year from date of conviction
  • Two convictions - ineligible for federal financial aid for two years from date of the second conviction
  • Three or more convictions - ineligible for federal financial aid for an indefinite period of time

Convictions for sale:

  • Only one conviction - ineligible for federal financial aid for two years from date of conviction
  • Two or more convictions - ineligible for federal financial aid for an indefinite period of time

A student may regain eligibility for federal financial aid, if during the period of ineligibility, the student completes an approved drug rehabilitation program. Students convicted of a drug offense during a period of time in which they are receiving federal financial aid, must notify the financial aid office immediately.

Aid to Foreign Students

Although we recognize the enormous need of foreign students, Grossmont College is not able to assist any foreign students with federal or state aid. However, you are encouraged to apply for Scholarships by visiting To be eligible for federal or state aid, a student must be a citizen of the U.S., a permanent resident, or a resident alien with the appropriate visa.

Last Updated: 08/16/2017
  • Grossmont
  • Cuyamaca
A Member of the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District