Skip to contentSkip to Main Site NavigationSkip to Site Left NavigationSkip to Site Utility NavigationSkip to Site SearchSkip to FooterDownload Adobe Reader
Transition from High School to College

Educational Options after High School

Educational Opportunities
Academic Standards
Other Information

Bachelor’s Degree
(University of California, California State Universities, and private colleges/universities)

Consists of general education courses and courses for the major working toward a four-year Bachelor’s Degree.

Student may enter from high school or transfer from Community College.

Most colleges have progress policies or grade point average guidelines. If these standards are not met, student may be placed on academic or progress probation. Contact the college to which you are applying and refer to the college catalog.

Colleges and universities may have different requirements for general admission. Contact the Admissions Office for more information. Buy or download a college catalog and review campus policies and procedures.

Associate Degree
(Community Colleges)

The Associate Degree consists of two components:

  • Courses of general education
  • Courses toward the major

Same standards as Bachelor’s Degree above.

Some community colleges may offer programs to guarantee admissions into a UC or CSU. See a college counselor for more information. Review the college catalog and review campus policies and procedures.

College Certificate
(Community Colleges)

College certificate programs are designed to provide employment skill and open vocational opportunities. A college certificate is available upon completion of required courses.

Same standards as Bachelor’s Degree above.

These programs change with the current employment market.

Personal Enrichment
(Community Colleges)
(Continuing Education)

Community colleges and continuing education offer courses that match your personal interests, (career exploration, study skills, computer skills, art, and music, etc.).

Same standards as Bachelor’s Degree above.

These courses may or may not be a part of a certificate and/or associate degree.

Continuing Education/Adult Education

Classes are designed to improve basic skills or for your personal enrichment. Examples include: Adult Basic Education, ESL, GED/HS diploma.

These courses are usually not offered for college credit. They may be repeated. Theses courses are open entry/open exit.

Contact the local continuing education centers for more information.

Regional Occupation Program (ROP)

ROP courses are vocational and designed to prepare you for employment.

Students earn an ROP certificate at the completion of course competencies.

ROP programs are offered throughout the community. Contact the County Office of Education for more information.

Private Vocational/Professional Training

Varieties of degrees, certifications, and licensures in specific vocational areas.

Contact the program to which you are applying for more information.

These are for profit educational institutions, so fees may vary.

Last Updated: 11/26/2014
  • Grossmont
  • Cuyamaca
A Member of the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District