Skip to contentSkip to Main Site NavigationSkip to Site Left NavigationSkip to Site Utility NavigationSkip to Site SearchSkip to FooterDownload Adobe Reader
Transition from High School to College

Verification of Disability

Verification is written proof that an individual has a current disability. Verification of the disability is the responsibility of each student seeking accommodations and services. The verification must be provided by a licensed professional in a disability-related field. Once your disability is verified, you may request accommodations. 

Application Process to Receive Disability Support Services

High school students frequently think they are automatically eligible for disability related accommodations at college. It is important to understand that this is not true. Under Section 504 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, you must complete the following steps:

  1. Apply for services at disability support office.
  2. Provide current written verification from an appropriate professional that:
  • names the disability.
  • identifies educational limitations that the disability causes.
  • identifies reasonable accommodations.

According to federal laws, you must identify the reasonable accommodations you want from the college.

Last Updated: 11/11/2014
  • Grossmont
  • Cuyamaca
A Member of the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District